Sunday, November 09, 2008

What a week!

Hey all!
So I really believe that me breaking my foot was a precious gift from God! So many things have happened...were do I even start?
I have so many things that I am praying about. It is like God has opened my eyes to the possibilies that He has in store for me. This whole week He was been kind of pushing me...stretching me...asking me how far I was willing to go for Him and how much I was willing to give up for Him. It is really scary when God shows you exactly what you are and then tells you "I want this and this and this and this gone from your life." Surrender is such an easy word to say but to actually do? I learned that it is not so easy but oh so worth it in the end! God is so good! Wow! So yeah, alot more to share with ya'll but I am praying about it a little while longer 1st :)

I am off to bed...tomorrow I go back to work :) I think they missed me. :-p So Good night all!


Worth the Cost?

by Dr. Paul Chappell

“Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.”
John 5:39

Many have been willing to give their life for God’s Word; are you willing to make time to read it?

In the year A.D. 303, the Roman emperor Diocletian issued a decree which he hoped would extinguish the spreading flames of Christianity. One of his primary objectives was the seizure and destruction of the Scriptures. Later that year, officials enforced the decree in North Africa.

One of the targets was Felix, Bishop of Tibjuca, a village near Carthage. The mayor of the town ordered Felix to hand over his Scriptures. Though some judges were willing to accept scraps of parchment, Felix refused to surrender the Word of God at the insistence of mere men.

Resolutely, he resisted compromise. Roman authorities finally shipped Felix to Italy where he paid for his stubbornness with his life. On August 30, as the record puts it, "with pious obstinacy," he laid down his life rather than surrender his Scripture.

Felix was willing to give his life for God’s Word; are you willing to make time to read it? We’re all guilty of taking God’s Word for granted. We have a Bible at home, one for church, one for devotions, maybe even one for decorations; but is your Bible more useful as a dust collector rather than a life transformer?

Felix was only one of many men and women who have helped preserve the Bible throughout the years by standing up for their faith. Even though they knew they faced certain death, many stood up for Christ and would not recant or turn their backs on Him.

So many Christians have given their life so that you can own a copy of God’s Word. Not every Christian has that privilege. Many hide Bibles in their purses, bags, or baskets. Many Christians in Communistic countries dearly hold on to pages or pieces of the Bible that they own. They would do anything to have the complete Bible and have the freedom to read it.

Yet how many times do we neglect spending time in God’s Word? How often do we rush about our day without stopping to make time for God and reading His Word? I’m afraid if times changed and we were forced to recant God’s Word or be killed, many Christians would choose the easier route of recanting.

In a month focused on thankfulness, don’t forget to thank God for His Word. Renew the preciousness of the Bible in your life. Don’t take for granted the fact that you can read His Word anytime and anywhere. Thank God for that! Take time right now to read a chapter in God’s Word. And thank God that He has preserved His Word for you through the centuries.

No comments: